Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Advice

One thing I'm getting a lot of for free right now is advice. And I don't seem to be able to take it very gracefully. Maybe I'm a young rebellious youth who doesn't know anything about the world. Maybe I'm tired of hearing the same thing again and again.
One of the points of this trip is to do something dangerous. But Danger, besides being my middle name, is... uh... dangerous. So I better watch out. There are a lot of things that might make me fare better when staring down the double barrels of nature. I'd better get a GPS because thats necessary, and will make things safer. But my feelings right now, at least, are that if nature pulls the trigger, well, thats what happens.
Maybe I should bring a bible along with me....
Anyways, right now I'm in a struggle with what equipment I need and how much it costs. I bet my opinions will change quickly once I'm faced with a storm, but I wonder about the need for an EPIRB and a life raft...
Talking to people at work, I constantly hear advice that I need a lot more things, that I need to put my faith in technology in order to save myself. That a 27 ft boat isn't big enough. And they are partly right. I bet I'll be wishing for more room, wishing for a longer waterline, and more comfort and safety, but I've been wishing for way too long, and it just so happens that this is what I can afford right now, so I'll take what I can get.

On the completely other hand, I am not trying to be stupid, so I'm going to work my way up to testing the waters of the pacific. I don't intend to stick my neck out very far, and if I head out on the straits in a couple weeks and get scared, then I'll probably get the EPIRB. I'm really just (as my sister Rachel used to say) "Pissing and Moaning" about the costs of everything.

No comments: