Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bellingham... Again.

I'm in Victoria now, but here's some more about Bellingham and the trip over to here.
I went out to visit my dad, and saw the solar array that he's been building. Its a huge array, with a swivel that is made out of a '57 ford pickup rear end, and it will provide around 2 KW of power when the sun shines on it. I was really impressed. He designed and built the tower himself, then ordered the panels, and is installing the panels as I type...

He is also working on a new tiller for me, so I should be equipped with that soon enough. I got a piece of African Mohagany for him to work on. After visiting with Dad, Abe and I headed out from Bellingham towards Victoria again. I had initially planned on taking Abe to Nanaimo, but he needed more time, and it seemed that the best thing would be for us to go straight to Victoria.
So we set off. We went to Lummi Island, initially, which is just across Bellingham Bay, and then climbed to the top of the island, a peak about 1640 ft tall, where we then climbed up to the top of a tree to get a clear view of the cascades to the east of us; Mt Baker and the Sisters. We also saw some of Abe's old Kayaking buddies, paddling along Chukanut, and we raced them...
After Lummi, we proceeded on to Sucia Island, and stayed the night there. The water was really clear, and there was bioluminescence. It was a really nice night. We went to shore and ate over an open fire on the beach, until the tide came in and put the fire out. Then we got up the next morning and headed for Victoria. There was no wind today (sunday) so we ended up motoring all day long, after a short stint with the spinnaker.
I'm dropping my brother off now, and from here on out, I'm not sure what to do next. I can stay around Victoria for a few days, and go downtown and walk around a bit, or I can sail north to the Canadian Gulf Islands. Or I can head back to Bellingham, taking my time going through the San Juans. Or I can head back to Seattle. I'm not quite sure what to do. The only deadline I have right now is Gnarly Gnines, a frisbee tournament on May 10th. I want to go back to Bellingham to pick up the Tiller handle, and to take my mother out for a weekend. I want to explore the Gulf Islands, and I suppose I could mingle the two of those together.

No comments: