Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Final Destination


I am back in Pavones, where I was about 5 weeks ago, and I intend to stay here for the rest of my time in Costa Rica. I have failed in a few things; I never took language classes, but my Spanish is not too terrible, I have learned some. I also did not make it to the Caribbean coast, but it has been raining and flooding over there. I never have gone to the highest mountian, nor intend to. Most of my time has been spent on the beach.
But I am looking towards home again in my mind.
Mostly I look forward to the things I cannot get here. I miss banana bread. I caught a whiff of something that was like it and it is consuming my mind. There are bananas here, and sugar, and everything, but I don't have a recipe, (hint hint but you must send it text or something, I have slow internet) and I don't have an oven or a pan.
I miss bacon. Its here, but expensive. Maybe I'll break down in a few days and get some.
I miss candy. Oh, how I miss candy. It is like missing alcohol or cigarettes for some other people, but I cannot get the right kind of jelly beans down here. They don't have good candy. Outrageous. I miss security, but since I'm staying in a place for a long time, I think I'll have a little bit more of that. Its not the same, though.
I miss having a car, being able to go all over the place so easily, but it makes me think about how pampered a life I've been living if these are the stupid things I miss. I can live without them, but I still miss them.
And I miss Altair. My Life on Water is not the same without her support. I have a board to stand on, but no mast to climb, no halyards to hang off of or sails to fill.
I have three weeks left here, and I intend to surf everyday I can, and dive as much as I can, but paradise would be having a sailboat down here, I think.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Banana-Bread-108415

i don't bake w/wheat anymore, but this looks good!

goodluck!

and I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I bet if you split a banana, put some brown sugar and pecans or walnuts in it, wrapped it in something and threw it on the campfire for 10-15 minutes you could get something that would be quite mushy but tasty just the same :)

Warren Woo said...

No banana bread recipe I can think of without a pan/oven... Sorry. Enjoy your last three weeks and make them grand! What is your plan on how to get back to Seattle?

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Can't wait to get back to Pavones. And then I'm going to make some of your banana bread / pancakes. Cool blog.