Saturday, June 24, 2017

Return to Bellingham

 Its been a nice summer so far up in Alaska, but I am now on break.
Can you see what's wrong with this picture?  Its turned sideways!
  Some aspects of the WEX have been difficult for me and it is nice to be out of the mix for a little while and free to do what I want.  but I'm not actually free to do much because I'm in the airport waiting for a flight and then another and I am tired and want to sleep.  Maybe I am free to take a nap, but instead I am writing.  Read on, dear reader...
We've had a huge return of the crew; most of the guide team, most of the deck force, and nearly all the managers.  Except the captain.  And since in the years past, the captain had things done a certain way, everyone on this boat was used to it being done that way.  This year it is done differently.  We've got a new captain and we are all learning his ways, and I am not too much of a fan of those ways (probably because I'm not used to them).  So there is a lot of tension onboard the boat while we all try to figure out how to manage.  In fact, the break system is the perfect way for people to relax and let tension go, so I hope that when I return I will return to a happier boat.
The past week was really quite nice.  We went through Glacier bay, and got a view of the fairweathers
 And I went to see the Tribal house, and here is a shot of the outside of it.  It is wonderfully smelling cedar and in the evening sunshine it is warm and inviting.

 After Glacier Bay we went to the Inian islands.  I love them.  Here's some Pigeon Guillemonts with their red feet sitting on some rocks in the rain.  Lovely.
 And the Tufted Puffins have also arrived at the Inian islands, so I got a nice shot of this one.
 Also a friendly sea otter.
 And some frisky Stellar Sea Lions

 After that we saw some Bubblenetting Humpback whales!
 And then we went to Kalinin bay, and I did a hike over the hill to Sea Lion Cove, where there is a wonderful sandy beach.  I went for a swim in the coastal ocean, and caught a wave, but it was very cold, so I came back quickly.  Still, I was in the water for about 3 minutes and that was pretty long for me.  People tend to leave stuff on the beach and squirrels come and raid their packs, so I got a shot of this one as it was testing to see if I was good to eat.

 Then we came to the Magoun Islands for the last day and looked at eagles.
 And Bears.

No comments: