Monday, September 23, 2019

Eastbound (and then down)

 On my trip south from Alaska, I began by flying to seattle, except that I didn't make it to seattle, the rains were too strong over the airport, so we flew in circles for a while before landing in Bellingham.  I wanted to go to Bellingham anyways, so I just got off the plane, but before I did, I took a few pictures out the window of the plane at the lightning that started while we were on the ground.
 These are just 5-10 second exposures out the window, but there was some exciting electricity in the air.
 I spent a week in Bellingham before heading out east, then exploring around in Glacier National Park with Lindsey.  We found some White crowned sparrows...
 And a nice little waterfall..
 And the pool of water at the base of the falls was very cool.  It was so clear.  I think the clarity of the water comes from the rocks being so old.  They are up to 1.6 billion years old here.
 We found a few meadows to look for moose in, but the moose were hard to find.  But find one we did!
 It was on the side of the hill.  Most of the animals around here are far away and hard to see.  Lindsey is great at spotting them, fortunately.
 We went up to Iceberg lake and the wind was howling and cold, but it was pretty, and then we had a bunch of huckleberries, which were delicious.
 On the way back we found some quaking aspens and some fall colors.  Very pretty.
Our last night had a splendid sunset with fierce winds coming down off the mountains.  I didn't sleep much that night from the wind buffetting the truck, but it's been a memorable experience. 

No comments: