Monday, May 13, 2013
To that end I have been making a wing. The main spar is a fiberglass piece of pole saw pole, and then I made mahogany foils and put a cedar leading edge on it. I still have to put the skin on, but that is a careful operation, so I've been leaving that till later, when the other parts are finished.
The wing will be unstayed, so it attaches with a bearing (so it can pivot). The wing is 7 ft tall, and the bearings on the bottom are only 6 inches apart, so there is a fair amount of load on the beams, but I'm getting it all figured out.
The most interesting feature of this boat will be that there is no main sheet. I intend to control the wing via a "tail" that makes the whole thing look like an airplane got stuck to the boat, so the tail controls the "angle of attack" of the wing-the angle to the wind-and if the wind shifts, the wing shifts with it, keeping a constant angle of attack. To depower you just put the tail into straight ahead mode and the wing points into the wind. This kind of set-up is used in a few other boats, and on a few autonomous boats, because it is easy to control. You never have to ease the sheet in a puff, it eases for you.
In other news, I've made yet another sailing video, of a trimaran. Its quick and stable and I want one.
Posted by cdlloyd