Friday, November 24, 2023

Cool slo mo video of the wake behind Aquila


 I went out sailing the other day, hoping to join a "beercan" race, which usually is every wednesday.  The weather had been unsettled, and it had rained the last two nights, but then it was clearing up, so I got underway around 2 pm and headed over to the race course.  No other boats were out, which wasn't a good sign, and so when I got to the start spot I decided to just continue on sailing.  Initally I was sailing down wind to get to the race start spot, so I didn't really notice how windy it was, but then I rolled up the spinnaker and put up the jib and started going upwind, and then decided I needed to reef the mainsail pretty quickly, because the wind had come up.  It was 15-18 kts to begin with, but now was 18-22.  So I reefed the main and continued on.  The wind came up some more, and I decided to turn a bit more downwind to keep the apparent wind lower, therefore reducing the power without needing to reef again.  

Pretty soon I was on the other side of the bay, and so I turned around and headed back, but now I needed to point upwind a bit more, and the wind was really strong and so I started to add ballast to the tanks rather than reef again.  I was hesitant to reef twice without putting up my smaller jib, and sadly I didn't have it ready to go and I didn't want to get it and put it up.  So I ballasted up a lot and the boat got more steady.  Instead of 30 degrees of heel, it came down to about 15-20 and the boat really powered up.  Now I was doing a consistent 9.5 kts at about 80 degrees True Wind Angle.  I took this video of the stern wave.  Its pretty neat.  

Also this one:


This one is looking down at the rudder wash.  I love slo mo videos with water.

No comments: