Saturday, June 17, 2023

Hiking up lummi Island

I just did a nice hike up a hill and back, but I didn't drive to the spot to go hiking.  I sailed there!  Using my trusty Hobie 16, named the Smurf Scoter, (named after the bird the Surf Scoter, and also my previous Honda Civic, the Smurf Rocket) I sailed over to Lummi Island.  I had my friend Teague and my brother Abe, and we took off into the grey breezy day with some chop.  We got a bit splashed initially, and then we were kinda chilly by the time we arrived at the south end of Lummi Island two hours later.  We beached the boat on a rocky (and low tide) beach, and then had to push and pull and drag the boat up to the high tide line, since we were going to leave it there for a while.  We used the sails to help push, and laid down some logs to slide the boat over, and got it up.  
Then it was time for a snack and changing into hiking clothes, and off we went.  
Abe and I had previously explored the south end a little before, but by Canoe, and this time we wanted to go further up the hill.  The west (or southwest) side of the island is drier and steeper, and has a lot of bald areas, so we stayed on that side.  
Along the way I found some Goldback Fern, which I really like.  It grows in dry areas and looks like a mini bracken fern, except it has gold on the bottom of the leaves.  Probably not really gold though.  I don't think Gold (Au) is used in biological systems except for teeth.  
I also found a dark eyed Junco nest, with three little eggs in it.  a cozy little hollow in the succulents.  
We hiked up a ways, then I flopped down on some grass and took a bit of a nap before heading downhill.  It was a good hike, and then on the sail back we had nice speed, and made it back quickly.

From Eliza Island to the Post point bouy is 3.9 NM, and we did that distance in 31 minutes, so 
 an average of 7.5 kts.  We sped up about double during the trip back, from maybe 5 kts in the beginning to about 10 or 12 at the end.  

I've been trying to sell the Smurf Scoter, but doing trips like this makes me want to keep it, but in between these trips it sits quietly on the trailer out at Abe's house.  It seems to survive the waiting just fine, except the trailer is always in need of repair.  I've got about another week in Bellingham before I start the Alaska season, and I'm really looking forward to it.  

No comments: