Monday, November 12, 2018

To the end of Baja

 I'm in La Paz now, and will be taking the ferry over to Mazatlan and then continue on to Altair, as I have heard she is ok, a little further south.  So my time in Baja is at a close.  Since last I visited the Internet...
After Gurerro Negro we headed to the beach again out to Bahia Ascension, and we drove along a lonely and lovely flat plain coastline, an area that used to be an old seabed, so is covered in shells and sand.  In that area we found some dolphins and from the small cliffs above the beach we watched them eating fish and resting in the gentle waves.
 Further on we found lots of Pelicans feasting on the same gigantic school of fishes, so we went out for a swim with them all.  The pelicans wouldn't let us get close but the dolphins were curious and came up and looked at us.  One came up about 10 ft away and just sat pointing at us for a few seconds, motionless.  I didn't bring a camera out with me, sadly, to record the event. 
 Onwards, and to an old lighthouse that I remembered from my trip down the coast in 2014, where I anchored just around this lighthouse.  I climbed up to see if I could get in and to the top...
 Then in the evening we found a spot to camp on the clamshell cliffs above the beach.  It is really just a huge pile of shells everywhere, with a little bit of sand in between to stick it all together. 
 Here is another shot of the cliffs, they are on their way to becoming limestone.
 The next morning we began again and soon found some more dolphins, and again went for a swim, but this time I stayed behind to get some shots of Lindsey out with them before getting wet myself. 
 They came quite close to her and some swam under her, especially when they were surfing some waves.  I went out and caught a wave with some of them, but they were much faster than I and preferred to catch the waves that were not yet breaking, so I had a challenge, with my short board.  Also it was a beach break so the waves were short.
 Then we made it to Punta Abreojos and looked out at the surf and there were some cool things flying around a tree, a weird moth that looks like a hummingbird!  Its called a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.  It moves a bit faster and more erratic than a bird, so it was really tricky to get a good shot.  I like the bendy proboscis.
 And there was a disgruntled Osprey on a sign that looks like its missing a foot, but it is just tucked away.
 From there we went around into Laguna San Ignacio, where Lindsey will be leading tours in February, with Grey Whales.  We wanted to check out the place and see the camp.
Then we drove a tricky back road south and tried every little sandy hell road that we could try to get to the coast to find some waves, but were thwarted, and I think I'll skip that section of coast next time and just go on the main road.  Finally we made it to the "South" part of Baja, and went to Todos Santos to surf.  The water is warm and I had a lovely time playing in the waves.  A south swell was coming so we headed out to a spot in the East Cape, which is a dirt road east of Cabo, and found a nice little point I had to myself for three days. Lindsey took some photos of me, so you can judge my turns a little if you like.
 Here I've got a fin out of the water and I'm turning pretty hard, but every time I have photos taken I learn a lot of how my feet are in the wrong place and my knees are not bent enough and  I don't use my arms enough and so on.  Useful things. 
 We rounded the end of the cape and came back to La Paz and ate at a restaurant where they had goat meat and also live goats, and kids too!  They were cute, and I love the weird eyes. 

No comments: