Friday, July 20, 2018

Summertime on the SEN

 I didn't have time to post this two weeks ago, so I'm a bit late for this post.  Sorry.  We have a new Expedition Leader, JP, who I worked with my first year on the WAV in 2013.   He's doing really well in the position and here I have a shot of him eating a whale.  We had been watching a few bears eat a dead whale on the beach and it seemed fitting...
 Then we had a gigantic gravity shift and the glacier fell apart....  Well, I might have forgotten to turn the picture.  Oops.
 And then we saw a wolf!  The only wolf I've seen this summer, trotting along the beach in Endicott Arm, just looking happy with life.  Maybe even wagging his tail a tiny bit.
 From there we went to LeConte Glacier and I did a transit where we got to play around in the ice for a bit before the big boat was set up, just some crew.  It is amazing to be around gigantic ice chunks that are grounded and about to break apart.
 A close up of the ice...
 Then we found some Orcas!
 One came up close to the boat and I got this shot of the bubbles before it hit the surface.
 And of course a few Humpbacks.
 We went to Kake and there is this guy there who is the sweetest old man and he greets everyone as they enter the dance hall.
 Then we went to Sitka and on our way back to Juneau we found more Orcas!  This one is doing double pec slaps.
 And they were feeling frisky...
 Celebrating a fish victory, they flung a headless eel in the air and I got a shot of it!
 I did a nice hike with some folks and found a squrrel
 And some western sandpipers.
 And we went into Glacier Bay and I got a shot of some eagles on ice.
 The second one is a demon eagle, you can see if you zoom in on the eyes...
 And then I went for a kayak at George Island (in Cross Sound) and found a friendly Surf Scoter.
 And a baby Harbor Seal.
 And then we found some hungry Otters.  This one is eating a sea urchin and a basket star.
Then we went to Haines and took a river float trip.  On the end of that trip we saw a harbor seal hauled out on a sand bar, 21 miles up the river from the sea!  this is the furthest I've ever seen a seal up a river.  Quite amazing.  I didn't know they could go this far up. 

No comments: