Saturday, March 31, 2018

Mexico Wrap up Part 2

As a continuation of the last post....
So after coming back from La Ticla, I then took Altair up to San Blas to haul out and store her for the summer.  Altair is in Summer Camp now.  But this time I went on this jungle tour to a crocodile place.  
 The Crocodiles are along the sides of the estuary, but also there are some big ones in cages at the end of the ride.
 Also there are lots of turtles there. 
 In the cages, there are also some cool animals that are local to the area, Lynx
 Crocodiles!  See how the teeth are worn away by the concrete they move across, also look at the sensory bumps on the nose.  Those are good for sensing vibrations while in the water or in the air and they have really good feelings (who says reptiles don't have feelings?) of what is going on around them, even if they can't see.
 There were some Peccarys there too.  They are cute little piggys
 A real big croc here.  The biggest might have been 16 ft long and very heavy.
 This little heron I got a shot of but I'm not sure what it is....I guess it is a Bare Throated Tiger Heron!
 And the foot of the beast!
 They have Jaguars there, poor sad looking things with not enough to think about or to kill, or enough room to sneak about.  This one was scratching.
 And this one was pacing.  I really like their eyes, very fixated.
 Here is a croc eye.  I love those vertical slit pupils.
 After I got Altair all snug on the boat stands I drove my truck up the coast to Mazatlan and took a ferry across the Sea of Cortez (also known as the "C of Cortez") and as we approached La Paz, I saw some whales in the distance.  These ones, if you look carefully, you will see that they have a blow that is forward, and not vertical.  They are Sperm Whales!  This was the first (and only) time I've seen Sperm Whales, but I was really pleased.  This was as close as we got in the ferry.
 I met up with my friend Mike and we drove up the Baja Peninsula.  On the way we hiked up a canyon and found a hummingbird.
 And an oriole
 And I got a nice beautiful sunrise picture but Mike managed to get into the picture and pee.
 Further north we came upon a nice looking Red Tailed Hawk and I got some shots of it flying
 And sitting on a Boojum tree.
 Speaking of Boojum Trees, we went to this place I call Boojumtown, where there are a lot of these wonderful cactus trees all over and camped out.  Evening came and the sun set and we got our cameras out to take some pictures in the moonlight and the dark.  Here is a Cordon Cactus...
 There is a twisted Boojum that looked great in the moonlight, so I took a few pictures of its weird ascent.

 It looks like a claw!
 We did some light painting too, the rocks here are hollow from the wind blowing around.
 It was a nice trip, then we made it to San Diego and I dropped him off.  Onwards northbound!

No comments: