Monday, October 2, 2017

End of Season 2017

 Ok, so this post is gigantic, and I'm sorry.  I didn't get internet for a while, so this is a sort of total last of the season picture post.  I'm also working on a video, to come out a little later.
I saw my first ever Kestrel in Alaska, this one was in Beartrack Cove, in Glacier Bay National Park.  I went for a cool shore/meadow walk up the left side of the beartrack river and found really nice short new growth spruce forest, the kind that comes from glacial rebound and is super easy to walk in.  I'd like to go further up this river some time.
 We also found some brown bears in Tidal Inlet
 And this is a view of Reid Glacier as we came by it.
 We also got a pair of wolves up near Margerie glacier, and this one was jumping over the river.
 After a night anchored in Russell Cut we had a spendid morning sunrise
 complete with reflection

 And then at Bartlett Cove we had a grouse visit
 as well as some Sandhill Cranes.
 We went to Hidden Falls and the bears were in full force
 eating coho salmon
 and looking pretty
 And everything brown was looking cute.  This is a mink.
 Then I kayaked in the Magoun Islands and found some Black Turnstones
 And a pair of Harlequin Ducks (females) that let me get close.
 and closer. 
Then we were in Sitka, got new folks and looked for whales on our new trip.
 And found some deer.
 and I did a cool hike in Florence Bay, up a small creek and through a muskeg to a nice lily pond.
 We went to Hidden Falls again, I did a hatchery tour
 And found some bear cubs!
 The bears were pretty happy, but still jostling for position
 and getting big Cohos still.
 And a few were just lounging around.  This one has a big scar on his face.
 From there we went to Glacier Bay, and I got a squirrel eating a cone
 And on a kayak up the Beartrack River, I found some American Wigeons
 These ones are my favorite picture.
 Margerie at sunrise was nice
 With otters on the ice
 And a Cinnamon Teal
 At South Marble Island the Sea Lions were looking pretty
 And we got a few Horned Puffins
 And then overnight, a Fork Tailed Storm-Petrel landed on the boat and stayed a while.
 At the Inian Islands we got a closer look at the Sea Lions
 And an otter that didn't want to get his paws wet.
 He swam all around us but kept his paws out of the water.
 And here is a look at some Ancient Murrlet's wings.
From there, we got to Juneau, turned around and headed for Ketchikan.  We saw a few Harlequin Ducks roaming around.
 And in Windham Bay I saw a Porcupine on the beach.  I was kayaking and got this little fuzzy hairball shot.
 And some Long Billed Dowichers, roaming a tidal flat.
 With some more Black Turnstones aflutter.
 Then on the last day, in Misty Fjords (Walker Cove) I did a kayak up the fjord and had a nice close look at a kingfisher.
 And a brown bear walked along a river with me.  It was a nice season
 As we got set to depart the boat I got a group photo of everyone.
Now that we are done, they have all become pirates....

No comments: