Saturday, August 26, 2017

End of rotation, free in Alaska

 I've just got free from the WEX and am going to be going on a two week break up here in AK.  But I saw a bunch of cool birds this week that I'll show.  Black Turnstones!
And Western Sandpipers.

Brown bears 
 And babies
 Whales.  They think they are birds sometimes
 Ok, not a bird

 But this one is!  A willow Ptarmigan
 Why can't your hear them go to the bathroom?
 Because the P is silent.  Here is a Red-tailed Hawk.  I've been seeing them a lot these days, more than I can recall ever before up here.  I think I've seen 12 this season and in the past I have only ever seen 4 or 5 in as many years.
 The Lamplugh glacier.  Also not a bird.

 And the Glacier Bay National Park Tribal house.  Its cool and has great lighting.
 A Phalarope.  Not sure exactly which species.  Maybe you can help?
 A horned Puffin.
 An Otter eating an Orange Sea Cucumber
 A tufted Puffin
 Ok, maybe I don't have that many birds in this one.  More otters.
 And more humpback whales
 And a curious Stellar's Sea Lion.
 Here is the tail end of a Marbled Murrelet.  They dive by using their wings to fly through the water, you can see that in this photo.
 And two Ancient Murrelets.
 Another Tufted Puffin

 And a view of Idaho Inlet from the kite.  it rained a lot this week, but here was a little bit of sun.

No comments: