Monday, August 22, 2011

American Wedding!

I went to a my best friend from High School's wedding this past weekend. It makes me start to feel a bit older... Quite a few of my friend's from back then are married, and one couple has a child now. I am behind on the times for sure!
The wedding was amazingly beautiful. It was set on this farm out near Mt Rainier, which is the biggest mountain in Washington State. Rainier dominated the view. On my way down, I saw a Cedar Waxwing!So the first thing that happened was that they had a soccer game the day before. I really like this idea, that just before any family gathering you have a game, and if there are people that don't know each other (like I didn't know many of the people there) they can get to know each other in a very informal way, and you don't have to worry about not having very nice clothes since you may have just gotten back from china and happen to not own any nice clothes.
I really liked the game. Then they had a big dinner, and the next day was the wedding. A few of my other friends from high school were there, so we all went out to play in the sunshine before going to the farm, and found a nice little lake we had never been to before. Once we got to the farm, we looked up at the mountain and all wondered if we could stay here for a few more days. It was amazing to see this giant white snowcapped thing just hanging out of reach.
I don't have a lot of people pictures, since I wasn't the pro photographer and I didn't get that many good shots. But I got a few. This is Jenna (from Sehome high) and her boyfriend Jake (who I just met this weekend).This is Karl and Rachel. I hadn't met Rachel before this, and I discovered that she is lovely and nice. I would like to see them again in a different place, where they don't have quite so much spinning around them, and get to know her even better. They are in Puerto Vallerta on honeymoon, which is where my boat is (or near enough) but I won't get down there until after they have left.This is the aisle... And what an aisle! The music all came from the families, and I didn't know that the "here comes the bride" had words. In german, I think. Rachel is a singer and her family are all musical, and Karl plays Violin and Viola and his family is also very musical. I had music lessons from his aunt when I was a child. So the cousins played the music for everyone.One of the neighbors of the farm flew over to check things out, and did a couple fly-bys in their biplane. It was cool to watch, and they could really go slow since they have so much wing area.The glasses were nice, and the light coming through looked neat. Rainier. I couldn't stop taking pictures of it.
After the wedding and everything we came back home, or I guess back to Bellingham. I think of it as home still. On the way we stopped at a few places. I really like this road called Chuckanut Drive, and I discovered a new little beach along it, that I hadn't ever been to before.The Chuckanut sandstone is beautiful. They use it for a lot of the buildings in Bellingham.

No comments: