Saturday, October 16, 2010

San Diego!

I'm in San Diego, after three months of being in southern California. And tomorrow Danny flies in and we head on south into Mexico. Going to Mexico was supposed to be a nice cheap trip, but instead it is turning out to be quite expensive. Yesterday I spent 500 dollars on an assortment of things, including insurance, fishing licenses, and gear. I will probably have to spend another 100-300 further when I go to different places, and I'm not at all happy about that. When I went into Canada, all I needed was my passport. I didn't need all this other stuff.
Anyways, San Diego is pretty nice, and there are a lot of other cruisers here from Seattle and the area. I ran into a couple that I first met in Bellingham Bay, and there is a friend of Danny's who i met last december in Olympia who is just 100 yards away right now.
Friends are easy to make in this cruising environment, but most people have a lot of stories to tell, and for some reason I find myself wanting to do the same, so there is a lot of trying to talk over people. It almost sounds like not listening. But everyone is friendly and most people have a lot of things that I don't have, so they are a bit impressed that I made it with such a small (and bedraggled) craft.
I've been doing a lot of work on the boat in the last two days, and I made LED lights for the front, for Navigation. They are red and green and work great, but cost much less than the professional ones, so I'm happy with that. I also made one for the top of the mast, but I can't get it to get power somehow. And I just changed the oil in the engine. That poor engine, but still kicking!
Anyways, the boat is ready to go, and I feel ready too. Now we just need to get food, and then pull up the anchor.

2 comments:

mlloyd said...

are you there yet? Mexico!!

Anonymous said...

Buena Suerte en Mexico.
Esté seguro de beber bastante agua, hablar con los extranjeros, y andale lentamente.

~R