Thursday, August 22, 2024

Sunny week

This week was really nice, we had a lot of sunshine.  Wilson, who I have worked with for many years in the past, was aboard as well.  It was his only week up here, but it was nice.
At Chenega there was this great seal with drool all over the side of his face
We found some nice whales, and got a good look at them.  
And also one was slapping his tail
There was a full moon also, with a nice morning of moonset over the mountains
Going into Columbia Glacier there was a lot of ice.  It was really stretched out and extended well out to sea, probably because of the large tides with the full moon
The moraine was very full of ice
We also found an Ice cave, and it was really cool looking
It was really stable and we managed to get a view inside
I love the blue ice inside
It goes a long ways

There is a great spot where the glacier was pulling across the wall and the ice pulled a piece of rock out.  This is called plucking
A river otter
And a porcupine!
This guy was eating grass at the intertidal zone, and I went over for a closer look
He wasn't much perturbed by me, but gave me a little sniff

A nice seal
And a wandering tattler
We had lots of bears
This mama bear was chasing a salmon
And a bunch of close sea lions
a closer view
This guy was sitting in the river eating salmon
a male bear

 and another bear giving me a nice look.

I have one more week before I head to Glacier Bay for a canoe trip.

No comments: